Friday, May 30, 2014

Amped Up...


These days I'm carrying such a high voltage emotional charge I can't even stand myself lately. It's strange what preparing to leave a place does to you. In this case it's so bittersweet. The job, the people, the place...all serving their purpose in my life, helping me to grow and expand, and in some ways causing me to contract. 3 years is a fair amount of time to put down roots, granted these roots don't penetrate deeply into this corner of the world, but they touch down, this will always be the birthplace of our son, which will someday make the question "where are you from?" difficult for him to answer...(check out TCK here)

Preparing to leave Chiang Mai doesn't feel anything like when we left Chicago, where we had both lived for over a decade. But it still stings...and at the same time feels glorious. I remember feeling so liberated when we left Chicago, because it meant that I could. It meant that I wasn't overly attached to anything there that kept me from exploring another part of the world. There are so many people who crave change, crave living somewhere else, crave something new & different but never do it. They feel so bogged down with the "stuff"...not just material things, but emotional baggage and codependent relationships, the thought of leaving overwhelms them. 

The sweetness? What we have to look forward to...first a visit back home! I can't wait to take Dylan to Silver Beach this summer! He loves being outside, he loves water, he loves exploring and playing in the sand and it's going to be so much fun! I'm also excited to connect with family and friends!


Then, onto our new adventure in Bogota. The work, the new living situation (back into a apartment after 2 years in this gigantic 5 bedroom teak house), a COOLER climate (yippee) are all changes I'm looking forward to. 


But packing, and working, and mothering and preparing to say goodbyes, it really takes a lot out of you, so there's that emotional charge...and right now when I should be getting ready to go to sleep, I'm here writing these feelings because it seems to help. In a lot of ways Chiang Mai has been a tremendous gift...my process in transitioning to life here has been difficult and as a result I've grown, and questioned and I feel more prepared for our transition to Bogota.


No comments:

Post a Comment